This week, at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo, the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products will be presented three prestigious Thea Awards in 2023.
Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, was recognized with a Thea Award for Outstanding Achievement.
“Main Street Electrical Parade,” will receive the Thea Classic Award.
Tokyo DisneySea is the recipient of the Liseberg Applause Award, which recognizes outstanding theme parks worldwide.
“I’m so proud of our teams who continue to delight our guests and consumers by pushing industry boundaries,” said Josh D’Amaro, chairman, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. “These accolades illustrate our legacy of innovation, as evidenced by projects that opened 50 years apart being awarded together.”
Disney Live Entertainment Creative Director Susana Tubert will receive the Thea Catalyst Award, reserved for an individual who has achieved a real and positive impact on the culture of our industry.
“I would like to thank TEA and IAAPA for these amazing recognitions—and most importantly, for their steadfast dedication to advancing our industry and keeping us connected globally,” said Barbara Bouza, president, Walt Disney Imagineering. “As our Imagineering and Live Entertainment teams continue to deliver magic and inspire humanity, it’s an honor to be recognized by our colleagues and friends around the world. I’d also like to give a special shout-out to this year’s Thea Catalyst Award recipient, Susana Tubert, who continues to be an influential and inspiring leader.”
Additionally, IAAPA announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products is the recipient of nine Brass Ring Awards for Live Entertainment Excellence, Games and Merchandise Excellence and Food & Beverage Excellence.
For Live Entertainment Excellence, the following Disney Live Entertainment projects received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Theatrical Production – “Tale of the Lion King” at Disneyland Resort
- Most Creative Christmas/Holiday Show – “Mickey’s Dazzling Christmas Parade” at Disneyland Paris
- Most Creative Halloween Haunt, Show or Experience – “Let’s Get Wicked” at Hong Kong Disneyland
- Most Creative Multimedia Spectacular – “Harmonious” at EPCOT
- Most Creative Property-Wide Event – Disneyland Paris 30th Anniversary Celebration
“This year’s Brass Ring and Thea Awards truly speak to the power of live entertainment and the consistent quality of work of the team I have the privilege to lead,” said David Lightbody, senior vice president, Disney Live Entertainment. “We are honored and grateful to receive these industry recognitions.”
For Games and Merchandise Excellence, and Food & Beverage Excellence, the following products received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Apparel Item – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Cassette Player Shoulder Bag
- Best Hard Good Item – Halcyon Starcruiser Training Lightsaber Hilt
- Best Plush Item – Groot Scented Plush
- Best New Menu Item – Chocolate Mighty Thor’s Hammer at The Ganachery at Disney Springs
Leave a Reply