Online master’s degree programs offered through Butler University’s Lacy School of Business ranked No. 33 in the nation, according to rankings published today by US News & World Report. The rankings compare online master’s degree programs in Business, excluding MBA degrees, from 211 colleges and universities. The 2023 ranking was a huge jump for Butler, which finished No. 95 in the same category last year.
Butler’s Lacy School of Business offers two online master’s programs that were considered for the US News rankings—a Master of Arts in Management (MiM) and a Master of Science in Risk and Insurance (MSRI). Butler launched an online MBA in January 2022; that program will be eligible for US News rankings in 2024.
“In today’s world, universities have to be innovative in meeting the needs of all students, particularly adult learners who are often balancing continuing education with their busy work schedules and home life,” Craig Caldwell, Dean of Butler University’s Lacy School of Business, said. “In a relatively short period of time, Butler has come a long way in launching several new online programs, ensuring that they meet Butler’s high academic standards. The online graduate programs in the Lacy School of Business, in particular, are student-centric and emphasize an experiential learning approach. A master’s degree from Butler’s Lacy School of Business is sure to give our graduates an advantage in the job market—whether they are looking to advance in their career or transition to a new one—and this exceptional ranking confirms that.”
US News & World Report considers several factors in compiling rankings of Online Business Programs, including:
- Accessibility and responsiveness of instructors
- Graduation rates
- Surveys of high-ranking academic officials
- Faculty credentials and training
- Student academic achievement
- Diverse online learning technologies
- Student services
Butler University’s Online Master of Arts in Management is a 33-credit hour program is accredited by AACSB, the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Less than five percent of business schools have earned this prestigious accreditation. Students learn about all functional areas of business, expand career opportunities, and establish themselves as a valued hire to a wide variety of business, non-profit, and governmental organizations. Each student is assigned an individual mentor to assist them in establishing their career goals, learn effective job search skills from how to create a standout resume, successful interview techniques, how to evaluate job offers, and more. The program includes a 260-hour professional internship, giving students the opportunity to better understand an organization and its industry, while providing a chance to apply the skills they’ve learned in the program. Students also participate in a Capstone Experience where they are paired with an organization to solve a “real-world problem” using their newly learned skills and refined decision-making processes.
Butler University’s Online Master of Science in Risk and Insurance, also accredited by AACSB, prepares graduates to:
- Apply specialized topics exclusive to risk and insurance to business risk situations, including property and casualty, health and life insurance, and insurance-linked securities
- Assess risk and formulate appropriate approaches to minimize and mitigate the potential cost of risk
- Use current and emerging tools to analyze and recommend alternative risk financing methods
- Develop risk management and insurance solutions using advanced data analytics methods and communication strategies
- Demonstrate managerial capabilities by applying financial management, team management, and leadership skills
- Apply professional and ethical decision-making standards
Graduates of Butler’s MSRI program can enter or accelerate their careers with insurance carriers and brokers, and have access to some of the best jobs available for corporate risk managers.
For more information about Butler University’s Lacy School of Business, visit butler.edu/lacy-business.